Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Giants Now Getting Love


As I sat back and watched this past NFL season, I couldn't believe all the things I was hearing. Coming into this season, we all knew the New England Patriots, with the addition of Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Adalius Thomas, were right back to Super Bowl status. The Indianapolis Colts, defending Super Bowl champions had one of the best, if not the best quarterback, in Peyton Manning. But I couldn't believe the hype all of the other teams were getting. The San Diego Chargers were 14-2 last season and then fired head coach Marty Schottenheimer and hired Norv Turner. The Chargers were still being hyped as the big three in the AFC. In my opinion, they were lucky to get to the AFC Championship game after a lousy season. The Colts defense played terrible and Manning was very effective. I didn't buy into all the hype the Chargers were getting. Philip Rivers needed to be excellent for the Chargers to have a great season and he didn't. In the NFC, there were teams that were being hyped like the Chicago Bears, defending NFC champions, New Orleans Saints and the Dallas Cowboys. No one talked about the participants in the NFC Championship game; the New York Giants and the Green Bay Packers. As the season went on, it was clear the Cowboys and Packers were getting all the hype and no one had the Giants as contenders. Why? Despite the fact that I am a Giants fan, I told everyone that the Giants have the most physical team in the NFC. I couldn't believe a Cowboys team, who were getting a lot of lucky good plays from Tony Romo, were getting a lot of credit. I knew the Giants were capable of beating them despite the fact they lost to them both times in the regular season. The Packers were definitely overrated and were helped out by the fact they had an easy schedule. They lost at home to the Bears, who were already bad at that point and then lost to them later in the season. I knew the Packers were a soft team and before the NFC Championship game, I looked at the SportsNation poll on ESPN.com. The votes were overwhelming in favor of the Packers and every person involved in sports journalism said this is the year for Brett Favre. You got to be kidding! The Packers, in my opinion, were the softest team in the NFC, and with the cold weather, the Packers were not going to be able to throw the ball effectively. I knew this game was going the Giants way. But nobody else believed and now most of the country is wrong and the Giants have proven me right. It is now fair to definitely predict a Patriots win, as they haven't lost at all this season and have been dominating. But there's no reason the Giants can't pull of the miraculous victory, as they have won 10 consecutive road games up to this point. We'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how the Giants can win this one. Belichek is a master mind and he's got a great team with him. We will now see the first 19-0 team, it's not about covering the spread, it's about the ring, and the Pats are getting another one.